1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VapeHaven!
    If you like it here you can always register and become a part of the community :-)
  3. Good day Guest. The current Admin/Mod team are not getting to participate actively on the forum as we would want to, and the community deserves more than that. If you are an energetic, passionate vaper who can drive quality content(!!!), keep some order (not that we enforce any rules really :)) and would like to become part of the VH Team, please send me a PM. Papa OUT!

Which Wire...

Discussion in 'Rebuilding' started by Igno, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Igno

Igno Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +32 / 3 / -0
    I have recently experimented with different wires and builds and came to a shocking conclusion which some people will most definitely not agree with but I decided to put this out there so people can discuss and share their own experience in this regard.

Now I have used Kanthal, Nickel (Ni200), Nichrome (Ni80), Stainless Steel (SS316) and Titanium. Nickel was too soft and resistance way too low, titanium too springy and there are mixed views on the safety of titanium when it's heating up. Nichrome has great flavour but can only be used in VW mode. Then there's SS316, Great flavour, great ramp-up and can be used in VW and TC modes so this is my prefered wire.

Now onto twisted and claptons, I've used normal clapton, fused clapton,alien clapton, double twisted, triple twisted and even quad twisted. When using all these fancy wires, battery life severely reduces, juice consumption is very high etc. The flavour is good on fused and alien clapton, but.....

I recently switched back to single wire, SS316 26G, and compared to clapton, the flavour is great, the vape slightly cooler, batteries lasts forever, juice consumption was reduced to half and I've never looked back since making the switch.

I would like to hear your feedback and opinions.

2. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    I reached the same conclusion about a month ago! I still use SS clapton on occasion, but will not be buying any more clapton wire.
    For me, Stainless Steel is magic.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Moonunit

Moonunit Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +65 / 6 / -0
    Also tried a plethora of wires and recently started using 24g SS Gr316L again. Spaced coils in TC. Was never a fan of TC when it came out but guess the chips have come a long way in the past year.

SS is great for simple coils, quick ramp up and plenty flavour.

Also been using 20g and 22g kanthal in my tanks recently, again doesn't need oodles of power and has decent ramp up time, only issue I found was the heavier gauge wire tend to retain a lot of heat and can singe wicks after long drags.

My build for tonight
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Igno

Igno Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +32 / 3 / -0
    Really nice spaced coils here @Moonunit , gotta get me some 24G SS316 now;)

5. arthster

arthster Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    I keep going back my trusted old 26g kanthal