1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VapeHaven!
    If you like it here you can always register and become a part of the community :-)
  3. Good day Guest. The current Admin/Mod team are not getting to participate actively on the forum as we would want to, and the community deserves more than that. If you are an energetic, passionate vaper who can drive quality content(!!!), keep some order (not that we enforce any rules really :)) and would like to become part of the VH Team, please send me a PM. Papa OUT!

Triton RTA Rebuildable coil

Discussion in 'RTA' started by nemo, Aug 13, 2015.

1. nemo

nemo Agg sommer maar net

Ratings:
    +356 / 44 / -0
    Hi all so I got my grubby little paws on the Triton and a RTA, this is a work in progress and I will attach he images over the course of the next few days.
    IMG_20150812_183233.jpg
    Right so on unboxing I immediately removed the stock coil and dropped it back in the box, got the RTA and got busy. Firstly I want to say the instructions on putting together the RTA is a bit backwards for rebuilding after the initial build, but perfect for first use.
    So install the coil into the top hardware then screw on the middle hardware and push into place the bottom hardware. Now on a fresh out of the box build this is great, however when you take the RTA apart the little grommet between the Middle and bottom hardware tends to pull out, this is a real PITA to get back if there is some juice on it.

So when breaking down I loosen the grub screw for the positive post (base or bottom hardware) and then just unscrew the Middle hardware form the top.

Now the first coil I built was an Ni200 coil about 6 wraps on the supplied screwdriver ID 3.5mm (not measured)
    Popped in the coil, placed it all together and wicked through the juice holes and trim. this was the method I saw on a few reviews. Now I can tell you that method is not correct, the reason for the assumption is the following bit of math:
    Coil wound on the supplied screwdriver is about 3.5mm and the juice holes is only 2.5mm
    It also a pain in the royal dairy air to get a bit of cotton through all of it and keep the coil aligned which I learned the hard way by throwing to perfectly evenly spaced coils into the bin as they were shorting on the casing.

So the correct method is, wind your coil, wick it with your favorite cotton and then insert the coil into the top hardware resting the wick on the 2 slots.
    <insert Image> will add on next build as the image is corrupted
    Trim your wick just about flush and use the small screwdriver to help it into the top hardware over the juice holes.
    IMG_20150813_202050.jpg
    Tighten the top grub screw, this is where I would now add some juice to help the priming whilst you still have easy access to the coil. (not necessary but easier in my opinion)
    <insert image> will add on next build as the image is corrupted
    Assemble the Bottom hardware and tighten the grub screw, now would be a good time to trim the excess protruding from the coil legs.
    IMG_20150813_202213.jpg
    Now "prime" your cotton if you did not do so already.
    slap it to the deck and attach to your favorite Mod, fill your Triton tank as per the instructions, open the juice holes up and let it wick for bit about 5-10mins, I found doing a few dry puffs without firing does speed up the wicking.
    Sit back, relax, enjoy the vape and get a bright spark idea to attempt a vertical coil build.

• Awesome Awesome x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. nemo

nemo Agg sommer maar net

Ratings:
    +356 / 44 / -0

Thanks@huffnpuff. we will go with your find here.

Ok so I managed now for the second time to rewick on the vertical coil, Its not as simple as the person demonstrates. The flooding appears to have been caused by the wicking material not filling the 2 little slots on either side of the top hardware running down below the juice holes. I have been experimenting with cutting my cotton across the grain causing it to fluff out more.

I have to add that this has been a difficult build for me, I have rather large sausages for fingers and have to do all sorts of funny things to get the coil in the build deck.

I so much want to show love for this RTA and a vertical coil so I will continue to test different methods until I can nail it and recreate the results.

I am with @huffnpuff in agreement that the stock coil could be easier to rebuild. Soon I will be ripping the stock vertical coil apart and try rebuilding that with Ni200, this does have a larger ID though and the coil sits nice and center compared to the RTA.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. nemo

nemo Agg sommer maar net

Ratings:
    +356 / 44 / -0
    For the few following this thread I will use this section for relevant updates to the builds.
    Update 29/08/2015

Ok so not having much success on the first vertical build I decided earlier this week to try it again. I received my SMOK® XCUBE II 160wTC and decided to give it another go.

Coil 0.07Ω 28GA Twisted nickel, 7 Wraps and 1 wrap of Japanese cotton as 2 wraps is just a royal PITA to get into the RBA.

I am still hitting the temp control but vapping instead of drinking eliquid, now don’t get me wrong I am loving my strawberry DIY mix but not that much. I did notice that by having the tank in fill mode and pushing the top cap and drip tip back on forced some extra juice into the wick and I was able to do a 5second lung hit. The very next hit saw the lovely temp protect message twice during the inhale. I get about the same result on the iStick 40wTC, for the next build I will remove the “skins” and see how we do.
    I really do want to like this tank, so far the price and having to purchase the separate RDA has got me expecting more.

Update 30/08/2015

Stepped out of my comfort zone and twisted 24 kanthal and 28Ni. wire did snap before I reached the number of peaks per inch that I wanted. Wrapped 7 wraps around the 3.5mm screwdriver and 2 wraps of the dischem softi cotton pads. Very Very tight fit and had to add a bit of loose cotton in those slots. Let it stand about 5 minutes and did dry puffs in between.
    Currently temp set on 240°C this puppy is not spitting a drop, Much better flavour and only gets to temp protection at the end of the inhale. Cloud production is decent now to try and pry it from my hands and let it stand to see if I get any flooding.

Update 08/10/2015

Sorry guys work has been hectic, So it appears i have gotten the vertical coil sorted. twisted 28 awg kanthal and ni200 wrapped around 3.5mm nice layer wrapped of cotton wrapped around and it lasts forever. I get about a month on a coil and rewick every week. Will get picks up soon on the build

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  4. nemo

nemo Agg sommer maar net

Ratings:
    +356 / 44 / -0
    Ok so far I have not been able to do a vertical build successfully yet, experiencing flooding and spitting so bad I have decided o pass on it. I Initially thought that my 50/50 juice was too thin that the tank was filled with 100% VG to the same results

The RDA deck has the juice holes Placed rather high up and this prevents you from getting all the juice out of the tank before refilling. <measure and add QTY left>
    The second problem is that for the life of me I cannot get the RTA holes to line up with the juice holes, I am not sure if this is a requirement for good wicking but I have not noticed any problems being caused by this. Edit Upon measuring I have found that the juice holes on the RDA ends up between the top and bottom holes of the tank.
    The next problem and this may be related to lack of experience is that there is just not enough room to get to a .15Ω build on 28AWG ni200 using the screwdriver that is supplied with the RTA on the supplied build deck. The closest I have been able to get is .11Ω.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  5. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
    Awesome stuff, well done :clapping:

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and other builds :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. huffnpuff

huffnpuff Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 7 / -0
    I reckon vertical coils will be easier and better to do in a standard coilhead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. nemo

nemo Agg sommer maar net

Ratings:
    +356 / 44 / -0
    So far first vertical coil is flooding like mad don't know if I over wicked or something

8. huffnpuff

huffnpuff Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 7 / -0

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. nemo

nemo Agg sommer maar net

Ratings:
    +356 / 44 / -0
    Thats pretty much what I did :D thanks I will give it another bash but I also had flooding on the lemo2 when I tried a vertical build. I am rather fixated on getting it working. Thanks for the link.

10. nemo

nemo Agg sommer maar net

Ratings:
    +356 / 44 / -0
    ok so hopefully sorted out my flooding issues on the RBA which is going to possibly lead to slightly different way of wrapping the cotton around the coil. I am going to just enjoy the vape for a few days and some new juice I mixed up .
    I will try and get much better pics than the ones posted as my daughter is going to help me snap them on her camera instead of my cheap phone. I will also include a much neater write-up as the initial one looks real shoddy.

• Like Like x 1