1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VapeHaven!
    If you like it here you can always register and become a part of the community :-)
  3. Good day Guest. The current Admin/Mod team are not getting to participate actively on the forum as we would want to, and the community deserves more than that. If you are an energetic, passionate vaper who can drive quality content(!!!), keep some order (not that we enforce any rules really :)) and would like to become part of the VH Team, please send me a PM. Papa OUT!

The Milk Tart Thread

Discussion in 'DIY Recipes' started by Gambit, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    To establish a baseline I considered the taste profile of your typical milktart (according to my taste buds that is). I came up with the following:
    • Milky
    • Hint of condensed milk
    • Rich crust
    • Creamy
    • Custardy (egg, butter, milk = custard)
    • Hints of vanilla
    • Bakery flavor
    • Hint of cinnamon
    • Sprinkling of nutmeg
    I have stock of all the ingredients to make this, except the nutmeg (had some years ago but got rid of it). All flavors will be a mix of TFA, CAP, FA and FW. I will mix 3 samples, each is 30ml, 4% Nic, 75/25 VG/PG mix

Side note: When mixing or cloning a recipe I like to come up with 3 baseline mixes. Once I have stabilized their profiles the one’s that don’t make the cut are eliminated. (This method has worked well for me to date except in the case of Cereal Killa, which after a few years I still haven’t nailed down the actual original, original recipe).

2. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here are the 3 baselines I mixed up: As a replacement for the Nutmeg I used Nut Mix from FA. Its a super powerful flavor so only added 1 drop / 30ml juice. (FYI - “eLiquid Recipe Manager Lite” is used for managing all my recipes.)

Milktart V1.a
    Mixed at 30ml, 4% Nic, 75/25 VG/PG mix

Dairy Milk (TFA) 1%
    Malted Milk (TFA) 0.5%
    Dulce de Leche (FW) 2%
    Apple Pie (FA) 2%
    Sweet Cream (CAP) 1%
    Bavarian Cream (TFA) 1%
    Vanilla Custard V2 (CAP) 5%
    Brown Sugar (TFA) 0.5%
    Cinnamon Danish (TFA) 0.5%
    Nut Mix (FA) 1drop per 30ml juice
    Total flavor = 15%

Milktart V2.a

Dairy Milk (TFA) 1%
    Malted Milk (TFA) 0.5%
    Dulce de Leche (FW) 2%
    Pie Crust (TFA) 2%
    Cream (TFA) 1%
    Bavarian Cream (TFA) 1%
    Custard (FA) 4%
    Vanilla Swirl (TFA) 1%
    Cookie (FA) 1%
    Brown Sugar (TFA) 0.5%
    Nut Mix (FA) 1drop per 30ml juice
    Total flavor = 15%

Milktart V3.a

Dairy Milk (TFA) 1%
    Dulce de Leche (FW) 2%
    Cake Batter (CAP) 0.5%
    Pie Crust (FW) 2%
    Sweet Cream (CAP) 1%
    Cream (FA) 1%
    Vanilla Custard V2 (CAP) 4%
    Cookie (FA) 1%
    Cheesecake Graham Crust (TFA) 1%
    Total flavor = 15%

This has been steeping for 3 days so I'll break out some testing tanks to try these out. Tasting notes to follow.

3. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here's a snapshot of the recipe makeup in Excel

tmp_20709-image0011920228212.png

4. Moonunit

Moonunit Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +65 / 6 / -0
    @Rocko brilliant work! Very interested to hear your feedback on the above recipes. Definitely a tricky profile to nail

There was a commercial milk tart from Larry's Vapes but not sure if he is still making juice. It was very good, balanced "milk" flavour but very light on the tart base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Tasting notes

First vapes were in old SMOK RSST Genesis style tanks of mine, stainless steel wick, wrapped with SS mesh, 2 ½ wrap Clapton Nichrome, 0.25 ohm. Mod is a Punisher 80 @ 65w. Only reason I used these is because I have 6 of them lying around unused. It produces a good flavor but a little on the dry side. But I love these tanks (PIA for maintenance tho).

V1.a
    I kept on coming back to this one. Cool, creamy fluffy cool taste on inhale. Really nice custardy taste in the mouth but its too much. Full round flavor, slight nutty, crusty, cakeyness. Pleasant fluffy exhale, light spiciness. Cinnamon is there, although light, but not light enough. Pie crust from the FA Apple Pie can be lowered a bit. Is it Milktart ? 2-3 out of 10.

V2.a
    Difficult to describe as there are a few flavors that dominate here. First of all this is not Milktart but it's not bad. There are undertones of a light custard but the spiciness (like a heavily dosed FW Yellow Cake mix) of TFA'S Pie Crust, combined with FA's Cookie overshadows the other ingredients. Was the first time I used TFA Pie Crust and am unfamiliar with the strength and profile of the flavor. However, my wife loves this mix and says it's a close 2nd to her favorite, Nammies. Will have to think abt how to modify this version.

V3.a
    There's a creamy, milky textured taste to this mix. Custardy but too much. There is an undeniable musky crusty custardy taste on the exhale which i think FW Pie Crust contributes to. It's a good Custardy tart/pie but prob a 3 out of 10 as a proper Milktart.

Conclusion: I'll modify the mixes and post it here. I think I'll use a Geek Vape Avacado for the next round of tasting as this is more in line with the kind of tanks we most use these days

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I revised V1 and V3 and dropped the V2 mix. Here are the recipes:

Milktart V1.b
    Dairy Milk (TFA) 1%
    Malted Milk (TFA) 0.5%
    Dulce de Leche (FW) 1% (reduced from 2%)
    Apple Pie (FA) 1.5% (Reduced from 2%)
    Sweet Cream (CAP) 1%
    Bavarian Cream (TFA) 1%
    Vanilla Custard V2 (CAP) 3% (reduced from 5%)
    Brown Sugar (TFA) 0.5%
    Cheesecake Graham Crust (TFA) 1% (new)
    Hazelnut (FW) 1% (awesome stuff, replaced FA Nut Mix)
    Total flavor = 12%

Milktart V3.b
    Dairy Milk (TFA) 1%
    Dulce de Leche (FW) 2%
    Cake Batter (CAP) 0.3% (dropped from 0.5% - stuff is heavy)
    Pie Crust (FW) 2%
    Cream (FA) 2% (upped from 1% and dropped CAP Sweet cream)
    Vanilla Custard V2 (CAP) 3% (dropped from 4%)
    Cookie (FA) 1%
    Cheesecake Graham Crust (TFA) 1%
    Total flavor = 12%

Here is graphic of the mixes in Excel format
    tmp_6718-image001(1)668398354.png

7. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Taste notes
    Recipes steeped for 3 days before vaping. Vaped in 3 different tanks, SMOK RSST @ 0.25ohm, Geek Vape Avocado @ 0.3ohm, Uwell Crown @ 0.5ohm. Mod used is a RX Wismec 200 @ 65w.

Because the RSST tank (SS wick + SS mesh, Clapton NiCr wrap) is unusual and not used by many, taste notes are excluded. Having said that this setup is awesome as the vapor is a deep thick smoky flavor. Both these mixes tasted great.

Also excluded are taste notes for the Avocado. I find complex flavors don’t vape well in this tank. The taste is great but because the chamber is so small and the wick usually very wet, the sweetness of the juice is the first thing you taste. IMHO its great for simple mixes but not that good for complex flavor profiles. The Griffin is the better tank for me, but I have yet to vape these juices with it.

V1.b

For me this is now getting close to Milktart, prob a 6-7 out of 10. I vaped 20 ml’s in the last 2 days on this juice alone! It is smooth on the inhale with a light creamy custard that develops. Exhale is milky, silky smooth. Theres a hint of flaky pie crust and a hint of Cin. Dan which I may still drop to .25% (which is like 3 drops per 30ml). Theres a slight nuttiness from the FA Hazelnut which you taste on the exhale. I am liking this juice a lot.

V3.b

Heres the thing with this mix. Its RICH, and sweet. It is a custardy flavor but I think lacks 2 main things, milkiness and the crust. Not sure why the milky taste isn’t there but for sure the FW Pie Crust is too weak. Problem is the pie crust cannot be increased else you’ll end up with a vape that taste all “Flavor-Westy”. So I’m going to park this version as well.

Having gone through all this effort I really need to eat some real Milktart so I can reset my taste buds as to how close these recipes match the real deal. But V1.b is pretty damn awesome for me.

Next steps: gotta mix more V1.b as I’m close to being out. Mix another batch with less of the Cin. Dan. and swap the CAP Sweet Cream with TFA Cream. Will update if there are any startling revelations.

8. Moonunit

Ratings:
    +65 / 6 / -0
    Excellent notes @Rocko !

You inspired me to give milk tart another go, here is a revised recipe of my mine, only steeped a few days.
    [​IMG]

It's in the ballpark, needs a little more cinnamon for the top of the milk tart. Think I'll increase the dulce de leche, it has good milky notes with a bit of sweetness. The FA milk condensed also helps with the milkiness but definitely needs time, a little ethyl maltol may also help tone down the dryness.

9. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Interesting mix you came up with @Moonunit. I've steered away from FA Condensed Milk which has diacetyl and settled for the TFA milk and FW Dulce de Leche. But I do think the FA Marshmallow is needed. The Meringue and Catalan cream may give more of a "fluffy" creamy note. I'm going to remix and create a v4.a version.
    I've started another thread on e-cigarette-forum where a few folks chimed in with good input. Check it out here https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/milk-tart-south-african-version.786231/
    Keep me posted how your turns out. I'll continue to update this thread when I make positive progress.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. Moonunit

Ratings:
    +65 / 6 / -0
    @Rocko thanks for the feedback.

It is pretty damn close, the crusty bakery notes are on the stronger side relative to the real thing. The milks notes are there, this is thanks to FA Milk Condensed. Unfortunately there is no substitute for this and not sure if FA will bring a DX version out. TFA milk is completely different. I plan on adding 0.5% INW Creme Brûlée and upping the CAP VC. I might add some TFA Bavarian Cream or FA Fresh Cream to lighten and lift the whole mix.

I went out and bought a milk tart from Ou Meul Bakery, this isn't your Spar or Pick N Pay milk tart, it is more like a tuisbedryf milk tart. Light fluffy puff pastry with toasted edges and a thick custard filling. It didn't have cinnamon on it, so I added my own on top. This is where my recipe is lacking it has a baked cinnamon note not fresh dusted cinnamon. Any suggestions?

11. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    @Moonunit I have a few FA flavors on order, including Condensed Milk and Vienna Cream. I've read on other threads where they dilute the Condensed Milk and combine with Fresh Cream and Meringue to give a condensed milk taste (less powdery-milky taste). Once i have these i'll mix up a sampler which resembles yours closely. I'll prob eliminate the Cake Batter and Catalan Cream.

I've just mixed a new sample where i used TFA Eggnog which is supposed to give it a more thicker creamy taste. Maybe that will also lend a light spicy note to the mix. Will taste it this coming weekend.

As for replicating the dusted cinnamon taste I would suggest dropping the TFA Cin Dan to 0.5% as i found it easily masks some of the other delicate flavors and the "Danish" comes through as well. I might play around with other nutty flavors myself but only after cracking the crust and filling part of the recipe.

12. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    @Moonunit a quick update on the Cinnamon flavoring. We tried a few and it seems the best of the best would be to use either TFA Cinnamon Spice or FA Cinnamon Ceylon. 0.25% would be the recommendation else it masks the somewhat complex flavor profile.

13. Rocko

Rocko New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just to update this thread with the final conclusion on the recipe we've collaborated on over at ECF. We've come up with 2 good recipes which both produce a very good milk tart vape. See the thread on ECF here

My final rendition was as follows:
    Milktart (South African version)
    TFA Dairy Milk - 0.5%
    FA Meringue - 0.25%
    FA Apple Pie - 1%
    INW Biscuit – 1.5%
    TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust - 0.5%
    CAP Sweet Cream - 1%
    TFA Sweet Cream - 1%
    FW Ducle De Leche - 0.5%
    INW Shisha Vanilla - 0.6%
    INW Custard – 4%
    TFA Cinnamon Spice - 0.3%
    FA Almond - 0.3%
    Total flavoring: 11.45%

This is truly a great vape and a must-try if you like a juice that has a just-right crust, nice creamy custard filling with a light Cinnamon dusting to round it off.