1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VapeHaven!
    If you like it here you can always register and become a part of the community :-)
  3. Good day Guest. The current Admin/Mod team are not getting to participate actively on the forum as we would want to, and the community deserves more than that. If you are an energetic, passionate vaper who can drive quality content(!!!), keep some order (not that we enforce any rules really :)) and would like to become part of the VH Team, please send me a PM. Papa OUT!

Temperature Control "feedback"

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by PapaSmurf, Aug 5, 2015.

1. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    Although I have not used Nickel, I am quite happy with SS316, which I have found to work well in TC mode. I refer to an earlier post of mine...

Twisted SS 2 strands 28 AWG, 0,8 mm pitch. Installed dual coils, 2,5 mm ID, 5 wraps, returned 0,22 Ohm.
    Using TC the flavour is way better than the Clapton coils, and no dry hits. I found 240 C and 40 watts worked best for me so far...
    I find it to be a more consistent vape, as the length and/or intensity (how hard the draw is) of the draw does not influence the flavour, which I found to be the case with Kanthal. With Kanthal, a slow draw meant a hotter coil and more flavour in my experience, and vice versa. With TC the flavour is the same every time, which is something I like:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    Another major plus is that dry hits are now nonexistent. As my near vision is poor without glasses, I was vaping on the Griifin tank last night and found that the coil kept cutting out, and not producing vapour. After the dog brought me my glasses (and slippers), I noticed that the juice flow holes were closed. Thanks TC for saving my throat and cotton!

• Like Like x 2
  3. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    uploadfromtaptalk1453201872028.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk

4. arthster

arthster Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    Another wild Cuboid appears :D

5. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    Using TC seems to drain batteries faster than VW.
    Has anyone else had the same experience?

6. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
    Yep, that's normal unfortunately.

It seems that constant power puts less strain on a battery than the pulsing that happens with TC (as it backs off to prevent exceeding the set temperature) - I haven't really explored why this happens (most likely something to do with the ways the cells store and discharge energy).

Luckily on a device with replaceable batteries (like that sexy Cuboid) it's not such a big issue...just carry a spare set and swap when needed. This is why I'm currently loving it more than my VT200 with built-in lipo :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. arthster

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    Well this is the same effect that happens with anything that draws electricity to warm up.

Anything that has an element (metal component that is designed to get warm) Draws more power during the ramp time. IE a kettle will draw more power to get warm but once it reaches its operating temperature it draws less power. That's why it was better to leave the old bulb globes on then switching them on and off every 5 minutes (they still draw more power then the modern Energy Efficient globes but far less if left on then if they switched on and off). That's one of the many reasons traffic lights have been replaced with LED Clusters.

With TC the majority of the AMP draw is used to heat the coil. When it backs off it cools down a bit and then draws more power to heat up again. Little bit of a viscous cycle.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  8. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    One would have thought that the mark/space ratio during TC would use less power than a coil that is always on when using VW:(

9. arthster

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    actually thinking of it... Not only the heating of the coil has an impact but also in raw VW mode, the mod doesn't need to do any calculations whereas with TC the mod is constantly looking at coil resistance and then processing what it should do with the wattage to maintain a temperature.

Combined with the fact that TC coils are generally much low resistance (Closer to dead short which translates in faster electricity flow) its actually all pretty solid logic that TC should be heavier on batteries then normal VW mode (If you compare SS or Ni to Kanthal). If you use SS in VW mode and compare that to TC mode then it comes down to Amp draw to heat the coil combined with the processor actually having to perform real time calculations.

10. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    @arthster , I agree fully with your reasoning.:) I was expecting a bit of a battery hit due to the increased (or continuous) processor activity. And the same SS coils was used in both VW and TC mode to compare. However I did not expect an 20% battery hit, i.e. reduced from 500 to 400 puffs until the batteries gave out.;)
    However, I love TC mode and will continue using it as it prevents dry hits and provides better flavour.
    Looks like I will simply have to invest in more smurfs:anigrin:

11. arthster

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    Well ok I know that a mod and a PC is two very different things but unplug a laptop with nothing to do and then give the processor some thinky task. Its pretty amazing how much a little processor usage can affect battery life.

I am talking out of my ass but its the only logic explanation for the difference in battery life. :D

12. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    I get the point;)

13. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    Most Cuboid users must have noticed that one battery discharges faster than the other - my guess is that one battery is being used to power the processor and display, in addition to providing power to the atomizer (in tandem with the other battery). That must be the reason for the connection in the lid (and also to measure remaining battery capacity, obviously;))

14. arthster

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    Well actually any twin battery mod has one cell that discharged faster, the only reason Cuboid users are noticing it now is because of the twin battery gauges.

My personal rule of thumb with twin battery mods is to swap the batteries around at the 50% mark hence the reason all my battery pairs are marked 1 and 2.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LeonRSA

LeonRSA Active Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 58 / -0
    Cool, I learned something. Thanks @arthster ;)

16. arthster

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    I don't know if its fact or not but I have been told that its usually the cell closet (In terms of wiring) to the Atty that drains faster.

17. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
    That makes logical sense as it's the choke point for the energy moving through the two cells.

18. arthster

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    Yip that's what made me believe the idea