1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VapeHaven!
    If you like it here you can always register and become a part of the community :-)
  3. Good day Guest. The current Admin/Mod team are not getting to participate actively on the forum as we would want to, and the community deserves more than that. If you are an energetic, passionate vaper who can drive quality content(!!!), keep some order (not that we enforce any rules really :)) and would like to become part of the VH Team, please send me a PM. Papa OUT!

Temperature Control "feedback"

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by PapaSmurf, Aug 5, 2015.

1. PapaSmurf

PapaSmurf Bringer of Calm ... Staff Member Admin

Ratings:
    +1,391 / 251 / -3
    Seeing that Temperature Control is still relatively new, there are quite a few questions normally popping up about it, specifically the "What is TC?" and "What is TC good for?" type questions.

Apart from preventing Dry hits (if the coils are correctly spaced and not gunked up), for me it provides a much smoother vape. When going from TC on the SX Mini (25J and 230 Degrees C with STM), to normal Kanthal on the SX Mini (30W 0.35Ohm in the Goblin), I can feel the vape is much harsher on the throat.

Anything you guys have noticed or found interesting?

• Like Like x 1
  2. baksteen8168

baksteen8168 Useful Idiot Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
    I still want to try my ADV on a nickel coil (but with all the juice reviews I currently have going, I can not seem to find the time)

I have found that it prevents dry hits perfectly if the coils are spaced correctly and also if there is no gunk buildup.
    Also found that nickel coils do not last as long as kanthal coils.
    Vape is smooth on all my temp builds so far.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kelevra

Kelevra Staff Member Admin

Ratings:
    +542 / 164 / -2
    For me, personally... i either love TC or hate TC... daily....
    Love the 'no dry hits' and prefer the super low ohm builds that nickle/tc offer.
    Hate working with nickle and really hate having to find a balance between number of wraps (to fit onto the build deck) and lowest resistance that the mod with fire... And lets not even talk about 'gunked up coils'....

I have 2 tanks and a dripper running nickle and 2 tanks running kanthal... reason is, i swop tanks and mods all day long...
    Given time and more research, TC will become the defacto vape standard... its not there as yet.
    The cloudmaker and incoming DNA200 based devices should present the next step in TC... but time will tell how well these are implemented.

PS: i really hate building with nickle.....

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Mike

Mike Mad Mixologist

Ratings:
    +295 / 67 / -0
    I'm having a lot of fun with nickel so far. Also realising that these annoyingly huge coils perform waaaay better than smaller coils for TC. I built a 5 wrap jobby in annoyance after stuffing up a build on my dripper and it was kak. Needs lots of wraps to get enough watts out onto the cotton.

There's definitely a learning curve - whether it's much worse than learning to build on a fiddly rebuildable, is debatable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vic the r0gue z0mbie

Vic the r0gue z0mbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 79 / -0
    Do you mean the vape is harsher on Kanthal?

I've only had a few puffs on @Mike 's tc iStick, and I found the vape smooth as silk. Very nice actually.

6. Mike

Mike Mad Mixologist

Ratings:
    +295 / 67 / -0
    @Vic the r0gue z0mbie that was my first ever nickel build btw - and I was running it around 275°c

A better build and lower temp would probably be even nicer - I'm ridiculously excited to throw a clapton coil in there though!!! I really think that's where the money will be.

7. PapaSmurf

Ratings:
    +1,391 / 251 / -3
    Yes, Temp Control gives a smoother vape using Ni200 (for me in any case) than Kanthal

That's why it was smooth @Vic the r0gue z0mbie ... it was a Nickel build, so it was on Temperature control

8. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
    Temp control is cool.....no wait, it's hot ;)

I'm still very much undecided on TC in general. It has potential but I personally don't find it satisfying enough as yet. In time I'm sure it will be, and I personally think Ti wire (or something else) will be the game changer. Low resistance builds are just pushing the limits of our batteries and I'm not sure it's the best way forward :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. baksteen8168

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
    You puffed @Mike 's stick...o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. skola

skola ....

Ratings:
    +48 / 15 / -0
    I very recently got an SX mini. Got a single coil nickel build in the ST mini and a dual nickel build in the Billow V2. Haven't had any issues with nickel wire as yet, enjoying the building part of it. I find the flavour on my TC builds to be less "fuller" than kanthal. I suppose it will probably take some time to find that sweet spot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DarthVapor

DarthVapor Owner of Plume Station Vendor

Ratings:
    +98 / 15 / -0
    I have done a build in my Goblin Mini with 26g Nickel, coming in at 0.05 ohms, running it at 50W 260 degrees celsius. This is the best vape I have ever had, very smooth and the flavour is awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PapaSmurf

Ratings:
    +1,391 / 251 / -3
    So I think herein lies the question. Same build with Kanthal in the same tank at 50W. How does that compare to the TC version?

13. CYB3R N1NJ4

CYB3R N1NJ4 The Vaping Ninja

Ratings:
    +155 / 30 / -0
    My wolf runs in Farenheid and Celcius. I find that since F is basically half C there are more options ie half degrees.
    I tried a single coil build in my goblin mini and it was a rediculous vape. felt like it pulsed a fire every half second. pulled it and did a dual 28g 2mm 10 wrap and read at 0.06.
    It was a solid consistant vape. Depending on flavour profile I vape between 480 - 500F. I feel the vape is also a lot cooler than kanthal, even though its such high temp. Thus is just an observation since I have only been doing nickel for 5 days now.
    So thats 5 days, combination of 2 tanks and already 3 coils... I may need more nickel soon!
    During that time however I have vaped about 12 3ml tanks, and really enjoying it.

14. arthster

arthster Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    I Noticed when mine pulses its due to wicking. Im not saying yours is to, but that what i found from my experiments. subtank with the new RBA base resolved this for me

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mike

Mike Mad Mixologist

Ratings:
    +295 / 67 / -0
    Made up some bino-coils in my Lemo2. Ridiculous flavour - not loads of clouds though, suits me great.

Bincoils.jpg

Blergh, too much cotton!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. CYB3R N1NJ4

Ratings:
    +155 / 30 / -0
    I actually had a lot less wicking than I was usually comfortable with. Thought maybe the temp was too high but still pulsed at very low temps.
    Still want to do a successful single coil build. Will try again with even less and see.

17. DarthVapor

DarthVapor Owner of Plume Station Vendor

Ratings:
    +98 / 15 / -0
    I would have to do a build like that but the Evic VT does not read kanthal that low. The vape would be very weak, 0.05 ohms at 50W is only 1.58V.

18. PapaSmurf

Ratings:
    +1,391 / 251 / -3
    No. I meant same amount of wraps and ID, not to get to the same ohms ;)

19. baksteen8168

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
    Mine pulses because of 2 reasons. Wicking or gunk on coils. Anyone else find that the Nickel coils just don't last as long as Kanthal?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. CYB3R N1NJ4

Ratings:
    +155 / 30 / -0
    Definitely!
    I thought it would last longer, but alas.