1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VapeHaven!
    If you like it here you can always register and become a part of the community :-)
  3. Good day Guest. The current Admin/Mod team are not getting to participate actively on the forum as we would want to, and the community deserves more than that. If you are an energetic, passionate vaper who can drive quality content(!!!), keep some order (not that we enforce any rules really :)) and would like to become part of the VH Team, please send me a PM. Papa OUT!

TC Tanks Mini-Reviews

Discussion in 'Other' started by Coco, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Coco

Coco New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 4 / -0
    Ok, let me preface this - these are my opinions and my opinions only. You may agree (on some), you may disagree (on some), but that won't make any of my observations less true (for me). Hopefully it helps somebody out there.

Some background: I have been vaping non-stop since 2009 (pre the 510 revolution), but have only jumped into this TC thing somewhere this year. Initially I just ignored the DNA40 hype, now I have a decent collection of TC mods, TC tanks, TC coils & TC things that clutter up my desk from a number of manufacturers. Here I will only look at the tanks I have tried and used for a decent amount of time, I'm not going to comment on Ni 200 self-built coils on RTA or RBA heads. (All I can say is - space those suckers, make sure it is tight under the grubs, don't let the grubs cut the leads and get used to big coils... it really it not that hard, just different to Kanthal.)

Overall observations: Don't buy into the TC "uses less juice" & "the battery lasts longer" mumbo-jumbo that the manufacturers are using. Yes, you will use less juice than full sub-ohm mode, but the battery will go just as fast. Well, this is maybe not quite true - battery life on a 0.2 ohm TC coil will be around the same as the same tank/device with a 0.5 ohm coil, so in truth it is better despite the lower ohms, but currently battery life is in the sub-ohm lifetime category, not the >1 ohm category. Using less juice? True. But juice makes clouds.

Final warning: You need to figure out if TC, Ni, Ti, etc. vaping is for you and if you feel comfortable doing it. Honestly I yo-yo on this, I'm still not convinced that with the current materials that TC is the best idea, however that also changes from day to day, i.e. I will go to "never again" to "it is the only thing I vape". We are still early in this and I do believe we are not at the point where we should be. (using the materials that are optimal and safe)

To my brief TC-focussed reviews...

Eleaf GS-Tank

Coils: Currently the only coils available are Ni in a 0.15 ohm variety. I've found that these coils read close to their intended ratings across devices, i.e. the manufacturing is very consistent. Unlike some coils from other manufacturers, I have yet to find a dud. Granted, I have only been through 2 5 packs of these and am currently not using this tank on a daily basis, so you may be less lucky.

Tank: A nice, comfortable 22mm tank with a full clear window, the smallest one on the list here. Unlike the GS-Air & GS-Tank MS (see below), the airflow adjustment on this one actually does work, the widest setting probably won't be enough for the big-cloud vapers. Filling it is easy, not Subtank-easy, but ok, you typically won't spill juice into the chimney unless you are even more of a clutz than I am. Coils go in and out without requiring special effort and they never get stuck in the chimney (unlike some other devices).

Real-world Performance: It has a much tighter draw than any of the other tanks on the list. If you are a direct-to-lung vaper only, this is probably not the tank for you. If you can swap to mouth-to-lung without issues or prefer this style of vaping, this will be closer to your happy-place. Generally I vaped this one pre my swap to F, so did around 225-240 C, in retrospect if I had to go back I would probably amp the volume is bit. There is no real difference between vapour production using TC or normal coils - it not sub-ohm territory, but rather somewhere in the middle, not too big, not too small. Flavour was found to be very muted - basically on the intake I didn't know I was taking anything in, on exhale I could pick up the flavour in a muted fashion.

Similar TC tanks: GS-Air, GS-Tank MS. These use the same coil and I could happily swap between the GS-Tank or any of these and have similar experiences. The device has less of an impact here in TC mode than the coils have. I have used both these tanks in addition to the main subject and if I had to write a review, it would be 99% the same.

Recommendation: A nice small no-frills tank, not brilliant, but cheap and easy to run. If you like doing MTL aimlessly and don't care too much for flavour, or want a stealh-y tank in your hand, this may just fit the bill. If you are not into these things, continue reading...

Without TC/Normal mode: A decent MTL tank. Standard coils are all >1 ohm and does what it says on the box. Not for the low-ohm, high-wattage cloud-crowd.

Eleaf iJust2

Coils: For TC operation Ni 0.15 ohm coils are available. With the release of the Melo2 and iStick 60W TC, 0.5 ohm Ti coils will also become available that will be usable in this tank. (Obviously not tried/reviewed here yet) The coils are sturdy and are of the Altantis-look-alike variety, so the juice holes won't scare off anybody. Manufacturing has been pretty consistent in my experience, no dud coils, ohm ratings fluctuate around 0.01 ohms between coils.

Tank: A large, very light (very, very light) Aluminium & glass tank with a massive capacity. iJust would mean "adjustable" in my world, however the green neon-ring for airflow control is really more of a vape band. You are better off just not using it (it may be tight at the start) or just using it as a protection mechanism with the airflow wide open. It has 2 smaller "slits" for bottom-filling and it is not quite optimal, however with 5.5 ml, you don't do it too often in TC mode.

Real-world Performance: When it is on, it is on, when it is not, it is not. The ohms on the coils don't jump around and even bumps don't make it lose the connection, however it would seem that on most mods the tank's temperature also gets measured. I know that is not the way it works, however when this thing heats up vapour production falls. Basically mods will think the device is 0.01 ohm higher than what it really is, making for some irritating "let me remove the tank and re-calibrate" experiences. It looks like a non-fiddly simple device, and generally it is, however in TC mode it ends up being fiddly. I found the sweetspot to be between 480 & 500F and you can taste the flavours (when it is on), quite well.

Similar TC tanks: Melo. Fits the same coils. (When the Melo2 becomes available in the next month or so locally, I'll update with some observations for this newer version.)

Recommendation: I really wanted to like this one - cheap, simple, just a good no-frills tank. However something is off using the tank with TC coils and I would cycle from loving it to getting irritated with it every 10 to 15 minutes. If you don't mind fiddling a bit, it does actually work quite well.

Without TC/Normal mode: A subohm cheapie. With the 0.5 & 0.3 ohm coils I find the flavour production better than any of the other tanks reviewed here (excluding the Herakles), however chain-vaping has had me doing dry-hits before - not something you would expect looking at the huge holes in the coils. My theory is that the all-around airlow is just not quite enough.

Joyetech eGo ONE Mega

Coils: Two TC coils are available, 0.2 ohm Ni (blue band) and 0.5 ohm Ti (red band). Anybody familiar with the eGo ONE series will know that the juice holes are tiny, however despite this it does yield some surprises in TC mode. Manufacturing is very consistent, on both Joyetech and non-Joyetech devices they seem to always measure around the ohms you would expect from them. The coils don't like bumps though, i.e. walking into the wall with your tank may just make you end up with a dud TC coil.

Tank: It is a pretty tank than most people just love to hate. Let's get this out in the open: it is not in the same category sub-ohming as other devices. Despite this, it is a solid tank with airflow on 2 sides, quite easy to fill (nothing beats the Subtank Mini in this category) with a decent capacity. It does have the tendency to get the coils stuck in the tank chimney (when refilling), which makes the refill experience a bit more messy than it really should be. By far this is my biggest gripe with it.

Real-world Performance: Forget about your disappointment with the 0.5 ohm and 1.0 ohm coils. Sneak the temperature up to 480-500F and it rocks TC mode (10F lower for Ti). Clouds from TC mode are not in Subtank subohm territory, but they are full and flavourful. You can taste the juice on both the inhale and exhale. In my view as much as they messed-up subohm-mode they have gotten TC-mode right. Maybe because the tiny juice-holes don't come into play as much, maybe since the coils are consistent in their make-up, who knows, but it is almost as if this tank performs to the best of its ability in TC.

Similar TC tanks: eGo ONE & eGo ONE XL. The larger version definitely has better airflow than it's smaller siblings and the extra juice capacity does help. Unless you really like small things, don't mind squinting at your tank to figure out the juice level or don't mind a more fiddly refill, I would just stick to the Mega version.

Recommendation: If you want to try TC, this is not a bad performer. You may hate the tank otherwise, but in TC mode this is almost as good as you are going to get with the tanks reviewed here. Drawbacks for me are the coils getting stuck in the chimney, but I could easily recommend this to any new or old vaper as a starting TC tank.

Without TC/Normal mode: Chances are you won't like it, it may not like your juices and you may even get some burnt hits.

Sense Herakles

Coils: Sense has a 0.2 ohm Ni coil available for the Herakles. Buying the tank from a local vendor will probably give you a "normal" 0.6 ohm coil and a 0.2 ohm Ni coil. I cannot (yet) comment on the consistency between coils (have not been through my lower limit of 2 5 packs as of yet), however have found that the coils I have tried have been reading at least 0.05 ohms more than what they were supposed to. It hasn't had any effects and normally this won't bother me - dud coils does, however I have not had that misfortune yet.

Tank: It is pretty and well-made with a spare glass tube since we all know that mistakes do happen. On my black version the clickable & adjustable airflow doesn't quite yield an optimal experience. Even in the daylight is is really difficult to see where the damn thing is set at. Well, it is "set and forget", however it is not obvious where it is. Filling is decent, however there is not a massive amount of space to sneak in your drip bottle. I'm not a fan of a loose glass, so you need to make sure that you don't pull out the glass and get juice everywhere when you do open it - make sure it stays in contact with the top when you do the bottom-fill thing.

Real-world Performance: In this short list, it is the best TC tank by far. There is no contest. You can taste things in your juice in TC mode that you didn't think was possible. Hell in TC mode you may even start considering dropping your nic content. It is that good. I need to run other TC tanks in (at least) the upper 400's, in this one I could drop the temperature to around 420F and still be blown away. You can taste the juice going in, you can taste it on the exhale. Pump up the temperature and you get even bigger clouds. Did I mention the flavour rocks? It definitely is more of a juice-hog in TC mode than any of the others.

Similar TC tanks: Coils are Atlantis-like, so any of the Aspire collection would be competitors here. In addition the "flavour-tanks" such as the Uwell Crown (on the list of to-be-reviewed-with-TC-coils) may fit the bill.

Recommendation: If you want a proper TC tank and have gotten tired of muted flavour in TC mode or coils that just don't deliver, this is the go-to guy. It is good. Really good.

Without TC/Normal mode: If you have devices that can fire insane amounts of Watts into a coil (your 40W iStick won't do the trick, your 60W eVic-VT may), and love tanks that can deliver very good flavour, this one may fit the bill. I got this tank specifically for TC and since I have been having so much fun with it in this mode, have yet to try the 0.6 ohm coil it came with. Supposedly it is even better...

Kanger Subtank Mini

Coils: Kanger has a 0.15 ohm Ni coil available for TC despite them not having their own TC-capable mod in the market yet. In the list of reviewed tanks & coils, these are the worst by far. Resistance could be out by around 0.1 ohm (coils would read closer to 0.25 ohms) and quality control is an issue - don't be surprised when you find 1 non-working coil and at least one with almost no vapour in a pack of 5. Treat these coils with satin gloves - a tiny bump and it will break and stop working.

Tank: You know them, you love them. Unlike normal OCC coils (in my experience), I have found the Ni coils to be reasonably leak-proof in the tank. (They may be duds, but they don't leak). Brilliant tank for refilling (the best of the best bottom-fills), very decent airflow control, and the juice-levels are easy to see. Not much to say really - they have set the standard for quite some time.

Real-world Performance: With the current generation of coils, it is just utterly disappointing. In TC mode the flavour is very muted and you start fiddling in the same way as with the iJust2 just to keep performance. In my experience around 1 of 5 coils have blown me away with performance similar to the stock 0.5 ohm OCC coils, but those good experiences were just too few and far in-between. With the average coil flavour and vapour may be close to what you would experience with the eGo ONE Mega, or with bad one it will be nowhere. I really wanted to love this one, however the consistency for the TC coils is just not there.

Similar TC tanks: Subtank Nano. I actually prefer the Nano in most normal-use-cases, but as with the Mini the coils just ruins the whole experience. I'm looking forward to see what Kanger does with the Nebox and their redesigned coils on these devices. Since the Nebox will be a TC device my guess is that they would have listened to the overly negative Ni OCC vibe out there.

Recommendation: Chances are that you have one of these in your arsenal already, but I cannot (based on my experiences) recommend this as a starting TC tank. If you want to try TC, don't just get OCC Ni coils and call it a day, you may be lucky (or I may have been very unlucky), but this may just ruin TC for you.

Without TC/Normal mode: There is enough info out there to sway you for "normal" use, I might not agree, but the whole world seem to recommend this one...

Uwell Crown

Coils: Sense has a 0.15 ohm Ni coil available for the Crown. The tank come fully stocked when you buy them new, in addition to the spare glass it has one 0.25 ohm SS, one 0.5 ohm SS and one 0.15 ohm Ni coil. Basically it will cater for all your whims. The coils are comparable to others in this range in their readings, basically my mods will read around 0.01 ohm over the advertised ohms on the Ni coil. The coils are proprietary to this tank, so there is no swapping in-and-out with models from other manufacturers. since SS TC mods are becoming readily available, the coils could also allow you to do SS TC in the future.

Tank: The tank is solid. It is very well made with SS and I really can't fault anything. The airflow adjustment is quite nice, it clicks into place and your setting is very esay to see - even on the black version of the tank. Unlike other tanks in this list, it is top-fill which makes things very easy. Unlike some other top-fill models you don't have any fiddly bits to take care of (complicated tanks break and leak) - just unscrew the top and pour in the 4ml liquid the tank can holde. It cannot be easier. It really is quite a no-fuss experience and allows filling to max capacity without taking the tank off the mod or doing anything special.

Real-world Performance: It really performs well in TC mode with the Ni coils. Once you have found your temperature sweetspot (mine was 450-470F) you can just vape and not worry about things too much. I have found some inexplicable dead-spots where the flavour just drops, unscrewing the tank and re-screwing got things back on track. This is by no means as fiddly as the iJust2, but not quite perfect yet. However with the flavour produced, you will be able to live with the small inconvenience if you do stumble upon it. Flavour is basically on-par with the Herakles, albeit at a slightly higher temperature.

Similar TC tanks: I would point to any of the flavour tanks, i.e. the Sense Herakles, possibly the Herakles Plus which is supposed to be top-fill. (Not available, not tested)

Recommendation: I really cannot imagine that a brand-new manufacturer with one item (this tank) can produce this item. Well, they have. It really is good. It certainly would make my short-list of recommended TC tanks.

Without TC/Normal mode: If you have devices that can fire insane amounts of Watts into a coil (your 40W iStick won't do the trick, your 60W eVic-VT may), and love tanks that can deliver very good flavour, this one may fit the bill. I got this tank specifically for TC and since I have been having so much fun with it in this mode, have yet to try the 0.25/0.5 ohm SS coils it came with.

EDIT 1: Some of the most horrible typos fixed, some Afrikaans-to-English issues remain :)
    EDI 2: Added Uwell Crown.

• Awesome Awesome x 2
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. Noddy

Noddy Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 13 / -0
    Jip. Kanger Ni200 pretty much ruined my first time TC too. 1 coil out a 5 pack was good.
    The vertical OCC are also ruining vaping for me. Poor wicking, poor flavour. The vertical OCC does what its supposed to do, and keeping me happy.... that is until I get home and start rebuilding.
    Might reconsider TC again if I can turn and wick a decent coil though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blends Of Distinction

Blends Of Distinction Subtle all day vapes Vendor

Ratings:
    +242 / 21 / -1
    Excellent review Coco.
    Thank you for this.
    Do you know where one can buy the herakles

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4. Coco

Coco New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 4 / -0
    Locally it would seem that only The Vape Shop currently has them in-stock. (I know for a fact that the Gauteng/Melrose Arch branch had some as late as yesterday.) There may be other vendors I have missed, if so, my humble apologies. As to coils for the Herakles - Vape Shop & Skyblue (I'm not sure Skyblue's 0.2 is Ni though, it doesn't say so it is most probably the Kanthal variety)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  5. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
    Great write up @Coco :)

This should help a lot of new TC vapers choose a tank to suit them.

Personally I'd advise any newbie to TC to simply get the Joyetech Evic VTC Mini kit - which includes a great little TC mod and Ego One Mega tank with one Ni and one Ti coil. As you said the Ego One Mega is a great TC tank even though it's fairly average (IMO) as a normal tank. This kit is the TC equivalent of the Subox Mini as far as I'm concerned.

Another tank you may want to look at is the Uwell Crown. Now I haven't tried the Ni coils for it yet, but the standard 0.5 Ohm SS coils are out of this world good....if the Ni coils come even close to what these do then I'm positive it'll be the best TC tank out there. You can get the tank and Ni coils from The Vapery if you're interested (it may seem expenseive, but it's a very high quality tank) :)

6. Coco

Coco New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 4 / -0
    Been looking at them since they became available locally and I'll get one next week. Honestly I was just trying to figure out first if vendors are going to support this one or if it will be a "we bring them in, but won't have coils long term" type of thing. Yes, some vendors do that... and the jury is still out on this specific tank...

Since 2 have/had them and the coils seem to be there, I'm willing to give it a shot. The Vapery was my pick to buy from early next week. (The other vendor is out of stock atm)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  7. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean...hopefully more vendors will hop on this tank and stock it and it's coils - it's truly an amazing atomizer.

Luckily there is an RBA for it as well, and I'm really looking forward to the vendors stocking those - for me that will take away the problem of coil availability as I much prefer rebuilding :)

8. Blends Of Distinction

Ratings:
    +242 / 21 / -1
    Help help..

I have just acquired this herakles tank with the 0.6 kanthal coil and have been vaping it at 40 watts on my ipvd2 with amazing results.

Want to now run N200 0.2 ohm nickel coil on it in TC mode

Been reading up on nickel coil and every site has this big warning about your device and battery that could explode if it not the right spec for the coil.
    This kinda stuff scares me shitless as I don't know enough about all the electrical side of it..
    So if I may ask...
    Can I use this tank safely on my ipvd2 with the efest imr18650 2800 mah 35a battery doing TC on this nickel coil.
    I really don't want to have an accident..

9. Jakey

Jakey Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 2 / -0
    Hey man. If your coil is reading at 0.2 the ipv d2 should read it with absolutely no issues. If its 0.02 it wont read it at all. Your battery + mod setup is perfect, no need to worry. If a coil is too low it will simply say low resistance and will not even attempt to fire the coil.

These mods have safety features built in which mechanical mods do not. Short circuit + reverse polarity safety for example.

To put your mind at ease, your battery should not vent on you if your mod is in good working condition. That being said, yes battery safety is essential and it is always good to clue yourself up on how to handle them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
    The reason for the battery warning regarding TC usage is generally due to the fact that Ni200 coils run at very low resistances (0.05 to 0.2 Ohm). This would strain the battery more than with a normal kanthal coil running at 0.2+ Ohms.

Batteries are rated for continuous current (amp) draw at say around 20-25A - the 35A on those batteries are a bit misleading, but not inaccurate..it simply means it can handle a 35A continuous draw for a few seconds (not indefinitely).

However...the way TC works is completely different. First, it generally runs at lower power setting, and secondly it does not draw power continuously (unless you set a very high temp limit) and hence it fires more with a pulse than continuous. For this reason most modern batteries (such as the 2800mAh you have) will work perfectly fine when using it in TC mode.

Additionally, because the power isn't being drawn continously, the battery will heat up and warn you that it is being strained long before anything bad happens to it - so just listen to your hand. If the mod gets very hot - seize and desist :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  11. Muaaz Omar

Muaaz Omar Active Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 11 / -1
    @Coco ive had my uwell crown now for a week or so and I just put my ni200 coil in yesterday

Just a warning that it takes almost half a tank of juice to run it in but once that's past.... Man clouds of flavor. It's crisp and delicious lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Coco

Coco New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 4 / -0
    Mine is on the way. Should have been here today, but I seriously dragged my feet and/or had actual work to do instead of ordering Sunday/yesterday. Will run it for a week to get an initial impression and then at least 2 before I form an opinion and then only give my thoughts in terms of a mini review.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  13. Blends Of Distinction

Ratings:
    +242 / 21 / -1
    Tx jakey, fractious & coco for all the advice much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Coco

Coco New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 4 / -0
    Uwell Crown vs Sense Herakles

Just a short note since I added the Crown onto the list and did a mini-TC-review on it above. Honestly, there is not much to choose between the 2 tanks. Some points -

Quality: I would call this a tie, both are really well made.

Filling: The Crown has top-fill, which I believe is becoming the new standard. Until the Herakles Plus is available, the Crown slightly edges out the bottom-filling Herakles.

Flavour: The Herakles slightly edges out the Crown. On the exhale they are equal, but I can detect more tones on the inhale with the Herakles.

Capacity: Crown has 4ml, Herakles has 3ml - enough said.

Airflow adjustments: Herakles with the fins make it tough to see whereas the Crown is very visible. Both have enough variety for the intended use and you cannot fault either in this department.

Local support: The jury is still out on this - the Crown is new and we have not yet seen the long-term availability with regards to tanks, parts and coils. Herakles is in a similar boat, however since it can use the Eleaf Melo/iJust2 coils as well as the Atlantis, you may feel a bit safer.

Overall: If all my mods & tanks get taken away from me and I'm only left with 1, I really wouldn't mind which one it is. They really are close, I find the Herakles slightly more enjoyable (flavour), but the Crown a tiny bit more convenient with filling & adjustment.

EDIT: Clarify "enjoyable"

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  15. huffnpuff

huffnpuff Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 7 / -0
    Currently my favorite commercial coil TC tank by far is the Goliath V2 with the 0.15Ohm Ni200 ROCC coil head. The exposed horizontal dual coils really work well and provide a nice soggy dense vape, something the Kanger Ni200 OCC's just simply cannot do.

16. Farouk

Farouk Gadgets, I love em all

Ratings:
    +38 / 17 / -0
    @Coco See I chain vape so reviews coming from a chain vaper are welcomed:)

17. Blends Of Distinction

Ratings:
    +242 / 21 / -1
    Herakles tank running nickel coil in TC mode at 260 c at 35 joules hands down my favorite

18. Coco

Coco New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 4 / -0
    Agreed. TC is really amazing when you find the tank that, for you, takes away the "meh" that we find in a lot of these TC tanks. Dense & soggy - I like that description, will need to remember that when I try to explain things to people.

O, boy. I need to suck on these things a tiny bit less - it is killing me in juice consumption. Strange thing is that during a workday, I can make a 3ml tank last - during the evenings.... well, on tank #3 for tonight. I don't need that much nicotine, just enjoy the actions a bit too much...

The tank really is good. I'm ecstatic that you found a TC tank that works for really well for you, and I'm happy that I could play a small role in that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blends Of Distinction

Ratings:
    +242 / 21 / -1
    Thank you Coco it was on your recommendation that I went out and got it... Best vape investment to date..

20. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just some thoughts on the Joyetech eGo ONE Mega, the only TC I'm really familiar with:

The CLR coils work MUCH better than the CL ones. The exposed wick area is much bigger than which makes it wick thicker juices better, but I still prefer using 50/50 as it gives more consistent flavour. You can get months of use out of a single CLR coil by just replacing the cotton every now and then and perhaps cleaning them if they get gunked up. I have yet to bend a replacement coil. It's also much easier to see when the cotton is knackered than with the CL coils.

Only real downside to the CLR: It's more likely to leak into the chimney area if you get the cotton thickness wrong.
    You can adjust the size of the wick opening with the bottom screw, but I mainly leave them open as far as they can go to keep the wick nice and wet. Making it too thick keep it compressed, which reduces the wicking rate if you manage to get it through he coil.

The TC CLRs I got (I have 0.5 Ti's) seem to report anything from 0.50 to 0.69 Ohm if you don't lock the resistance on the EVic Mini, which can throw off the temperature setting. This is sometimes due to the coil not being tightened enough. Flavour only really comes out around 250-260C (480-500F) at the 0.55 reading, and when reading is 0.65Ohm I had to jack it to 270+ (520F+) to get similar results.
    When it reaches that kind of temperature it's running at about 22-24W to maintain it, which is similar to what I run with the non-TC 0.5 Ohm coil.

The nice thing about the TC is that it is less likely to scorch/burn the cotton than an over-eager Power rating, but my taste-buds aren't sensitive enough to tell if there's a difference in flavour between TC and non-TC when running similar power levels.

I'm itching to try (316) Stainless steel to see how it affects flavour, but since it's harder to measure temperature with those it might make the temperature readings even less accurate than with the Ti's I'm using.