1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VapeHaven!
    If you like it here you can always register and become a part of the community :-)
  3. Good day Guest. The current Admin/Mod team are not getting to participate actively on the forum as we would want to, and the community deserves more than that. If you are an energetic, passionate vaper who can drive quality content(!!!), keep some order (not that we enforce any rules really :)) and would like to become part of the VH Team, please send me a PM. Papa OUT!

Mutation XS - Dual Clapton Build

Discussion in 'RDA' started by Kelevra, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Kelevra

Kelevra Staff Member Admin

Ratings:
    +542 / 164 / -2
    After much deliberation... here is my build tutorial on the Mutation XS (apologies for the bad pic quality)

First off, warning: Because of the massive heat generation of clapton coils, coupled with the mutation mini size, this will be a warm to hot vape... (apply copious amounts of sunscreen to your lips before vaping this build).

1. Tools.
    You need some 'cutty' things, some 'pulling & twisting' things, some 'wicking' thing, a 'reading the resistance' thing , some 'coil making metals' and a 'turn the screw thing'.. (also known as wire cutter, scissor, wicks, ohm meter, wire and screw driver).
    IMG_2498.JPG
    I've used the UD clapton wire for this build and its awesome.

2. The Wraps: I used a 2.5mm screwdriver as the inner diameter, with 8 wraps. Each coil clocks in at 1ohm, to give an overall reading of 0.5ohm for the build.
    IMG_2499.JPG

3. Installation: Warning: Installing the build was 'easy enough'. The method I use, is to install one coil, trim the excess, then remove the coil (carefully). I then install the other coil, trim those wires and tighten down the screws. The first coil (which was just removed) is then reinstalled. I do this to prevent the opposite sides of the coil wires from touching. Finally, i use the same screwdriver that i wrapped the coils on, to position the coils where i want them. For this build, directly over the bottom airflow holes and midway through the side airflows seemed to work best. Note: The coils need to be closer to the center posts, so that the wicks can be positioned away from the bottom airholes (else it will leak)...
    IMG_2500.JPG
    Warning: Please check and double check your build with an ohm meter before fine tuning or firing it. Make sure you understand battery safety and that you understand what 'venting' means.

4. Fine Tuning: Next step is to pulse the coil and remove hotspots etc. The aim is to heat up the coils, then squeeze together (with appropriate tools) , then repeat....until both coils glow from the inner to the outer edges. Also, make sure both coils heat up at the same rate.
    IMG_2501.JPG

5. Wicking: I initially used Jap cotton to wick it, but later changed the wick to Rayon. This is just a personal choice as i feel that rayon works better in drippers than jap cotton.

6. Make Vapor
    IMG_2502.JPG IMG_2503.JPG

Final thoughts:
    1. Impressive flavor with impressive clouds. That first hit had my one lung paralyzed for a bit...
    2. Needs power... lots of power...So if you like battery life, don't use this build
    3. Very warm to Hot vape, so some juices don't taste as nice with this setup
    4. UD claption wire is awesome indeed

• Awesome Awesome x 3
  2. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
    Nicely done @Kelevra :clapping:

I'm eager to give that UD clapton a bash :)

Also, methinks you need a Coil Master tool kit :D

3. Kelevra

Kelevra Staff Member Admin

Ratings:
    +542 / 164 / -2
    Me thinks you are right about the coil master kit..... :)

• Like Like x 1