1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to VapeHaven!
    If you like it here you can always register and become a part of the community :-)
  3. Good day Guest. The current Admin/Mod team are not getting to participate actively on the forum as we would want to, and the community deserves more than that. If you are an energetic, passionate vaper who can drive quality content(!!!), keep some order (not that we enforce any rules really :)) and would like to become part of the VH Team, please send me a PM. Papa OUT!

Bad Ecig Article with my name attached....:/ what can be done

Discussion in 'Vape Media' started by Darth_Vaper69, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Darth_Vaper69

Darth_Vaper69 Vaping for the Dark Side

Ratings:
    +35 / 2 / -0
    Okay so as the title states, I received a phone call from a journalist who was actually a lecturer of mine from university. He was writing an article and remembered I had gotten nicotine poisoning back while still using a twisp. Anyway, after about a 45 minute phone call in which I went through all the health benefits and personal good experiences since I switched from smoking to vaping. He is a smoker and by the end of it was talking about making the switch. Long story short the Herald comes out today with a picture of me next to a GIANT heading "E-cigarette Warning"... I am sorry but what the actual #@$*.... Now anyone here have any advice to this because I will not just let this go. After all the good I said the only thing that got published was the bad incident! :mad::mad::mad::mad: I am looking for reputable vaping studies so I can go through and compile a complaint regarding this and take it further. I have been googling all morning looking for reliable ones but to be honest I have no idea where to start. I have attached a picture of the article in question for you to read.

As the guy that organizes the Eastern Cape Vape meets and tries my best to bring local guys into the group and keep them in the loop this has honestly broken my spirits at the moment. I try so hard to be an advocate for vaping here in the Eastern Cape and this kinda thing will not stand.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. fractious

fractious Admin

Ratings:
    +1,582 / 401 / -0
  3. arthster

arthster Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    I would suggest contacting a competing news publication and let them post a story with what you actually said. Name and shame.

But that's just my vindictive side.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Beertjie_Pta

Beertjie_Pta Active Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 39 / -0
    I am with @arthster , make it known that this is not what you said and that they did not report the whole story only the part that they wanted to tell.

5. Darth_Vaper69

Darth_Vaper69 Vaping for the Dark Side

Ratings:
    +35 / 2 / -0
    Lets try this again....
    DSC_2369 [1600x1200].JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. baksteen8168

baksteen8168 Useful Idiot Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
    Wow, you built your own version of ecig... impressive ;)

This Devon dude should get his facts straight... "nicotine that was in his stomach" - did you drink the liquid?

I would say email Devon and question him on why he changed the facts to make it a slander article instead of an informative, objection less piece? This smells of "i want to get my article into the paper and i know the editor will run it if i place something in a bad light... Ooooh, I know... Let's take on ecigs... Surely I will be original and no one has tried to do that before... And as no one does any research on this, ESPECIALLY those that use ecigs, no on will notice that i am talking absolute rubbish...

Email his editor as well and ask for a written apology in the papers because he completely took your statements and deliberately turned your comments around to further his own agenda..

Lastly, I would do what @arthster said by countering with as many papers as will listen as tho what absolute crap this paper is publishing.

Maybe invite the uneducated fool to a vape meet so that he can see what it is all about... Then he can see with his own eyes how dangerous vaping is... See how everyone is poisoning themselves with nicotine.. Hell, he might even see some vapers blow themselves up (for his future article on how ecigs are just pipe bombs in disguise and all vapers are terrorists...):rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Beertjie_Pta

Ratings:
    +94 / 39 / -0
    @baksteen8168 I think Devon is @Darth_Vaper69 and he is the one who was misquoted in the article.

8. maxxis

maxxis Lung Candy Premium Vendor

Ratings:
    +297 / 21 / -1
    Lets stand together and flood the newspaper with comments.

Who has the email address of the editor?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. baksteen8168

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. rvdwesth

rvdwesth Owner: Pirate's Grog and Keeper: RSAmplebox Vendor

Ratings:
    +617 / 109 / -0
    I see its on the article....
    koend@timesmedia.co.za

11. maxxis

Ratings:
    +297 / 21 / -1
    Excellent.

12. baksteen8168

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
    That would be the article writer, not the editor.

13. baksteen8168

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
    Got this off the herald online site. http://www.heraldlive.co.za/contact/

Contact Us
    The Herald:

News Desk: (041) 504-7324

Sport: (041) 504-7245/246/7335

Advertising: (041) 504-7911

Subscriptions: (041) 504-7120 or toll free: 0800 422-244

Classified:classi@timesmedia.co.za

Letters to Editor: Private Bag X6071, Port Elizabeth, 6001

Fax: (041) 585-4966

eLetters to the editor:heraldletters@timesmedia.co.za

General Email theherald@timesmedia.co.za

Weekend Post:

General Inquiries: 041-504 7911

Newsdesk: 041-504 7188 or 041-504 7321

East London Correspondent: 083-658 1169

MyWeekend / Features: 041-504 7321

Sport: 041-504 7335

Letters: 041-504 7251 or 041-504 7420

Advertising: 041-504 7432

Classifieds: 041-504 7174

Subscriptions / Circulation:0800-422 244

Marketing/ Promotions: 041-504 7315

Fax: 041-585 4966

14. Beertjie_Pta

Ratings:
    +94 / 39 / -0
    @baksteen8168 that is what happens when you read something without your glasses on and only an I and an O difference.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. arthster

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    Maybe if we all contacted the editor and made it clear that we wont stand for this slander as well as be willing to contribute about the positive things vaping has done for us, this bad situation can be turned into a positive one?

16. Q-Ball

Q-Ball Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 14 / -0
    It is my understanding that the media is not allowed to publish anything positive about smoking, alcohol or drugs, and vaping falls in the same category as smoking.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. baksteen8168

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
  18. maxxis

Ratings:
    +297 / 21 / -1
    • Like Like x 1
  19. baksteen8168

Ratings:
    +2,247 / 438 / -4
    My email to the Herald editor and author of the article: ( heraldletters@avusa.co.za and koend@timesmedia.co.za )

Dear Editor

I am writing to complain about the attached article in The Herald EC titled E-cigarette warning.

Your writer has taken a completely biased view on this and has decided to only highlight the negative experience of the person that he has conducted his interview with. This is evident in the post Devin Astbury made on www.vapehaven.co.za . Following is an extract from Devin’s post on Vape Haven :

“Okay so as the title states, I received a phone call from a journalist who was actually a lecturer of mine from university. He was writing an article and remembered I had gotten nicotine poisoning back while still using a twisp. Anyway, after about a 45 minute phone call in which I went through all the health benefits and personal good experiences since I switched from smoking to vaping. He is a smoker and by the end of it was talking about making the switch. Long story short the Herald comes out today with a picture of me next to a GIANT heading "E-cigarette Warning"... I am sorry but what the actual #@$*.... Now anyone here have any advice to this because I will not just let this go. After all the good I said the only thing that got published was the bad incident”

The full thread can be found here : http://www.vapehaven.co.za/threads/...ame-attached-what-can-be-done.953/#post-15213

To further my point, I will give you my history regarding e-cigarettes.

I started vaping exactly 1 year, 5 months and 16 days ago. I started on an EGO-CE4 kit and bought e-liquid with 24mg nicotine in it. I bought this kit because I was intrigued and never thought that it would get me off cigarettes. To my surprise I did not pick up a cigarette again after that date. I gradually reduced my nicotine intake as I changed devices, and I am now alternating between 3mg and 0mg. I did not drop the amount of nicotine because I thought it was bad for me, but rather that as time progressed and as the devices were getting better, I found that the higher nicotine was making my vaping experience less enjoyable. At no point did I have any adverse reactions to the nicotine. My cravings for cigarettes were gone by the first month, and as an added bonus I have discovered that when I sometimes forgot my vaping device at home, I did not need to rush out and purchase a pack of smokes. Nor did I feel like I needed to go home and get my device.

To the health benefits I can say this :

I am an asthmatic and have found that as my journey in vaping progressed I have gone from using my inhaler twice a day to roughly twice a month. Keeping active by running and playing sports has also become much more enjoyable as I feel a lot better since quitting smoking and taking up vaping. My sense of taste and smell has greatly improved as well. Then there is also the benefits of vaping with Behcet’s Disease. Like this person who smoked to control the accompanying mouth ulcers that come with having Behcet’s Disease and decided to give vaping a go. http://behcets.co.za/wp/index.php/smoking-and-behcets-revised/

In closing, I sincerely hope that you would take a second look at vaping and maybe list some of the positives that vaping brings to the table. Not only has it made a huge positive difference in my life, but also in the lives of others.

Regards

Shaun Robinson

• Awesome Awesome x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  20. arthster

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 340 / -0
    @baksteen8168

That my friend is one seriously well written message. Let us know if they come back to you. I Honestly hope they will actually be man enough to admit that they didn't do the proper research and without proper evidence put vaping in a bad light and more importantly apologies to Devin IN PUBLIC.

And yes I said with the hopes that they actually take the time to click the links you supplied them.

I am extremely tired of the Media putting everything in a negative way to make more sales. If you want to be an industry leader start printing facts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1